Safety first…Know the ingredients I can’t tolerate!
So you have decided to start cooking for your dog. Well done! He or she will love you forever. So let’s explain some of the basics. First there is food out there that is toxic to us dogs. I know I can eat many of the same food as you do, but I do have some exceptions. They are just not for me, not even sure why you like them…however they are dangerous and could be even deadly so listen up and make sure that these foods never pass my chops!
Onions, anything that is an onion, including onion powder- It can destroy a dog’s red blood cells, leading to anemia. That can happen even with the onion powder found in some baby food. An occasional small dose is probably OK. But just eating a large quantity once or eating smaller amounts regularly can cause poisoning.
Chocolate: Besides that too much for you, could make you fat…it could be deadly for me! The toxic agent in chocolate is theobromine. It’s in all kinds of chocolate, even white chocolate. The most dangerous kinds, though, are dark chocolate, chocolate mulch, and unsweetened baking chocolate. Eating chocolate, even just licking the icing bowl, can cause a dog to vomit, have diarrhea, and be excessively thirsty. It can also cause abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, and death.
Coffee and any coffee related products: don’t need it, I wake up fine on my own. Caffeine in large enough quantities can be fatal for a dog. And, there is no antidote.
Tea: not for me I’ll take a doggie biscuit but will pass on the tea
Alcoholic beverages: really do I have to explain?
Hops: yes that does include beer! Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.
Grapes, raisins, including anything that came near it such as juice and yes wine: Although it isn’t clear why, grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs.
Tomato foliage: Only the leaves, the stem and the unripe tomato fruit contain the tropane and atropine alkaloids. The tomatine alkaloid present in green unripe fruits and in the tomato plant is highly poisonous to dogs. Excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation are sign of tomato toxicity. Stomach upset is another sign of tomato toxicity in dogs.
Mushrooms: Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.
Walnuts cashews, almonds, pistachio: can cause some GI irritation in most dogs, pistachio nuts contain aflatoxin which cannot be tolerated by animals. Pistachio ingestion could cause cancer and liver diseases in dogs
The nasty green parts of potatoes, unripe potato, potato stalk, eyes and leaves: Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems. Potatoes should be cooked to aid in digestion.
Citrus oil extracts: result in vomiting. Stay away!
Nutmeg: Can cause tremors, seizures and death.
Rhubarb leaves: Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.
Avocados: Avocados contain a substance called persin. It’s harmless for humans who aren’t allergic. But large amounts might be toxic to dogs
Pitts and seeds from fruits: The problem with these fruits is the seeds or pits. The seeds from persimmons can cause inflammation of the small intestine in dogs. They can also cause intestinal obstruction. Obstruction is also a possibility if a dog eats the pit from a peach or plum. Plus, peach and plum pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to both humans and dogs. The difference is humans know not to eat them. Dogs don’t.
Moldy or spoiled food: Hello? You would not eat it, so why would a dog?
Milk: Milk and milk-based products can cause diarrhea and other digestive upset as well as set up food allergies (which often manifest as itchiness).
Candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods, and some diet foods are sweetened with xylitol: Xylitol can cause an increase in the insulin circulating through your dog’s body. That can cause your dog’s blood sugar to drop and can also cause liver failure
Sugary Foods and Drinks: I do have a sweet tooth, however too much sugar can do the same thing to dogs that it does to humans. It can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly the onset of diabetes.
Yeast Dough: Before it’s baked, bread dough needs to rise. And, that’s exactly what it would do in your dog’s stomach if your dog ate it. As it swells inside, the dough can stretch the dog’s abdomen and cause severe pain. In addition, when the yeast ferments the dough to make it rise, it produces alcohol that can lead to alcohol poisoning.
Your Medicine: Reaction to a drug commonly prescribed for humans is the most common cause of poisoning in dogs. Just as you would do for your children, keep all medicines out of your dog’s reach. And, never give your dog any over-the-counter medicine unless told to do so by your vet. Ingredients such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen are common in pain relievers and cold medicine. And, they can be deadly for your dog.
Cat food: Really tasty to us dogs but it is generally too high in protein and fats.
If Your Dog Eats What It Shouldn’t…
Dogs explore with their mouth. And, no matter how cautious you are, it’s possible your dog can find and swallow what it shouldn’t. It’s a smart idea to always keep the number of your local vet, the closest emergency clinic, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center in your area. Keep it handy where you know you can find it in an emergency. And, if you think your dog has consumed something that’s toxic, call for emergency help at once.
- Why can’t dogs eat chocolates? – Foods toxic to pets (somethingaboutscience.wordpress.com)
- Toxic Food and Your Dog (clancyaussiedoodles.wordpress.com)